Free Internet Security
We compiled the following list of steps for those who cannot afford an Internet Security Package. You may not enjoy the central management benefits of an Internet Security Package, but these steps will help you to obtain a reasonable level of Internet Security without spending a penny on any software.
- Download and install AVG Free Edition for protection against viruses.
- Download and install AVG Anti-spyware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal Edition for protection against spyware, hijackers and other pests.
- Download and install ZoneAlarm Free Firewall for protection against hackers as well as hacking attempts by malware.
- Once downloaded and installed, run the update feature of each program to ensure that you have the newest definition files and detection rules installed on your system. The setup program normally takes you through these steps.
- Do a complete system scan with each program and follow the removal instructions if the software finds any infections. Quarantine the infections if possible, if not, delete them.
- We recommend that you update each program and scan your PC at least once a week, but we encourage you to do it on a more frequent basis.
To prevent your system from being infected and your system settings from being altered by viruses and spyware do the following:
- Enable the SDHelper and TeaTimer tool of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
- Download, install and update JavaCool Software SpywareBlaster. Make sure you enable All Protection.
- Download, install and update JavaCool Software SpywareGuard.