Hoaxes, Spams & Scams
This section of Cyber Top Cops is no longer maintained and has been replaced by the SHPAMEE Project.
The purpose of this section is not to list every possible hoax, spam or scam e-mail, but to educate users on how to identify them, by looking for certain characteristics and using a little common sense.
The following articles provide some insight into the problems and dangers of e-mail scams, hoaxes and spam and how to avoid them:
- Smelling A Hoax A Mile Away By Using A Little Common Sense: A step-by-step explanation how to identify a hoax.
- Protocol Against Spam: Taking a look at some of the methods used to prevent spam from landing in our inboxes.
- Don't Become A Victim Of Identity Theft: Prevent your identity from being stolen
- Cyber Crime Made Easier Through Impersonality: The reasons why it so easy to commit cyber crime
- The Dangers Of Chain Letters And Petition Lists: These popular e-mails are not as harmless as you my think.
- The Key To Beating Spam: Ways of treating and preventing spam contamination.
The examples listed below should give you a good idea of what the most common hoaxes, spams and scams look like.
Hoaxes and Spams
- Advance Fee Fraud
- Phishing Scams / Web Forgery
- Other Miscellaneous Scams
MillerSmiles.co.uk - The webs dedicated anti-phishing service :: Scam Alert ServiceUpdate your billing information; 14 November, 2018. - TV Licensing
Wed, 14 Nov 2018 04:00:02
* Your TV Licence billing information records are out of date. * This requires you to update your billing information. * Failure to update your records will result in account suspension. * Please click on "UPDATE NOW" and follow the steps on the screen. * UPDATE NOW This message was emailed to IAN_S100@HOTMAIL.COM by TV LICENSING, CUSTOMER SUPPORT ...
Service Update - Chase
Mon, 12 Nov 2018 09:00:02
E-mail Security Information. DEAR CHASE ONLINE CUSTOMER, We're currently upgrading our systems to bring enhanced features to your Online Banking experience. As a result, youraccount is temporarily unavailable. Please download the file attached and upgrade your account to our new Online Banking system. NOTE: fail to upgrade your account, it will be automatically closed. After this step, you are permitted to access your Online Banking System....
Your AOL experience - 2 minute survey! - pstreet1
Wed, 31 Oct 2018 07:00:03
DEAR AOL To help us improve, we would be grateful if you could fill out the survey below. The survey should take you less than aminute to complete. Please keep in mind that this survey is based on your most recent interaction. Click here to give us your feedback Alternatively, please copy and paste the link below into your browser address bar: https://1drv.ms/xs/s! AoN4tLyWmqGabq5FdP7u0fC3FPI? wdFormId=%7B9FBB1551%2DF3BD% 2D469E%2DA799%2D5C13485837F8% 7D...
Someone tried to access your online banking - Chase Notification
Tue, 30 Oct 2018 01:00:03
VERIFY YOUR IDENTITY TO REGAIN ACCESS HOW WE PROTECT YOU When you bank with us, you're trusting us with your money. We use a variety of security tools to keep your informationsafe. For security measures, we have suspended your access to CHASE ONLINESM because we detected a possible unauthorizedattempt to sign in to your account.HOW DO I ACCESS MY ACCOUNT To regain access, you'll need to SIGN IN and follow the instructions on your screen, if you haven't alre...
Final Reminder: Restriction on Your Amazon.com account - Amazon.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2018 02:00:02
Dear Customer,The following charge on your Amazon account has been disputed and the bank has demanded payment from us:Your Order: 112-1778633-0564229Transaction Date: N/AAmount in Dispute: 334.93 USDItem in Order: N/AWe cannot process any orders, please go toMy Account immediately and fix as soon as possible to remove restrictionPlease do not reply to this email it is not monitored.Add a Credit or Debit Card" und...
MillerSmiles.co.uk Phishing News ServiceWeekly analysis - 3rd November 2018 to 10th November 2018
Sat, 10 Nov 2018 12:00:00 GMT
MillerSmiles provides its weekly phishing analysis for the week of 3rd November 2018 to 10th November 2018
Weekly analysis - 27th October 2018 to 3rd November 2018
Sat, 03 Nov 2018 12:00:00 GMT
MillerSmiles provides its weekly phishing analysis for the week of 27th October 2018 to 3rd November 2018
Weekly analysis - 20th October 2018 to 27th October 2018
Sat, 27 Oct 2018 12:00:00 GMT
MillerSmiles provides its weekly phishing analysis for the week of 20th October 2018 to 27th October 2018
Weekly analysis - 13th October 2018 to 20th October 2018
Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:00:00 GMT
MillerSmiles provides its weekly phishing analysis for the week of 13th October 2018 to 20th October 2018
Weekly analysis - 6th October 2018 to 13th October 2018
Sat, 13 Oct 2018 12:00:00 GMT
MillerSmiles provides its weekly phishing analysis for the week of 6th October 2018 to 13th October 2018